Christmas Parade - 2022 (12/03)
Southaven Christmas Parade
* Parade of Lights *
Welcome to the 42nd Annual Southaven Christmas Parade. Our goal is to have a safe, fun, and family-friendly parade. Thank you for joining us in making that goal a reality!
Spectators may watch the parade all along Stateline Road from Southpoint Church to Norwest Drive, and all along Northwest Drive to City Hall.
Info for Parade Participants:
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The judges will be selecting one FLOAT as the Best in Show. The organization with the winning FLOAT will be featured in the 2023 Southaven Magazine ($1,200 value). Winners will be notified by the Southaven Chamber of Commerce the week of 12/5/2022.
- Creative use of Christmas lights and decoration is REQUIRED.
- Vehicle entry limits
- Passenger-sized vehicle entry (with no float): limit two vehicles per organization ($25 per vehicle)
- Oversized vehicle entry (truck, wrecker, etc.): limit one vehicle per organization ($30)
- Parade entry numbers will be issued during parade lineup.
- Family-friendly Christmas music may be played by parade entries. All other music is prohibited.
- Gentle tossing of candy is allowed; please be mindful of children and spectators.
- Patriotic theme is allowed, but political messages are prohibited.
- Late Arrivals, after 5:30 PM, will not be eligible for trophies, and may be excluded from the parade.
- Each parade entry will pause briefly for review in front of the judges’ stand across the street from Dale’s Restaurant. Music/dance performances will be given up to 45 seconds to perform in front of the judges’ stand.
- All parade entries must clearly display their entry’s name on the front passenger side of the entry so that it is clearly visible to the judges.
- NO SANTA OR MRS. CLAUS ON ANY FLOAT. Children may be confused and upset by multiple Santas.
- All participants must ride on a float. Exceptions: bands, marching and dance teams, and adult(s) handing out candy (please toss candy GENTLY at spectators’ feet).
- All parade entry vehicles must be in good repair, licensed and insured, and driven by a licensed driver. Please include licensed driver’s name and contact info on application.
- DROP OFFS: Float riders and walkers, it is best to come in groups. You may be dropped off at the staging site. Watch for signs. There is no parking available at the staging site for the duration of the parade. Please make arrangements to drop off participants and then find parking elsewhere.
- IMPORTANT: All parade entries having children dropped off at the parade site MUST have a responsible ADULT leader present at the drop-off area by 4:30 PM.
- School Groups (sports/cheer teams, bands, etc.), check with your coach/director for drop-off instructions
- Vehicles pulling floats must be in good mechanical repair, road worthy, licensed and insured, and driven by a licensed driver.
- All floats must provide side barriers to keep children away from sides.
- All floats must display creative use of Christmas lights and decoration. Any floats not displaying creative use of Christmas lights and decoration will be excluded from the parade and no refunds will be issued.
- For spectator safety, floats are required to have an adult (18+) walking on each side (minimum 2 per float). Please, no children walking next to floats or vehicles in parade.
- All dance routines must be tasteful and family-friendly. Lewd, obscene, and vulgar movements are strictly prohibited.
- Dance teams may play family-friendly Christmas music only. All other music is prohibited.
- Dance teams MUST submit a video (at time of registration) of all of the routines they will perform along the parade route.
- Please call 662.342.6114, or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need instructions. Failure to submit a video of the routine at time of registration will disqualify the team from participating in the parade.
TRUCKS AND OTHER OVERSIZED VEHICLES
- LIMIT ONE OVERSIZED VEHICLE PER ORGANIZATION.
- For spectator safety, all oversized vehicles are required to have an adult (18+) walking on each side (minimum 2 per vehicle). Please, no children walking next to floats or vehicles in parade.
- All vehicles must display creative use of Christmas lights and decoration. Any vehicles not displaying creative use of Christmas lights and decoration will be excluded from the parade and no refunds will be issued.
Staging will take place from 4:30 to 5:30 PM at SouthPoint Church for all commercial entries. Your entry number will be issued to you at lineup. Late arrivals (after 5:30 PM) will not be eligible for trophies, and may be excluded from the parade. The parade steps off at 6:30 PM.
Commercial floats, vehicles, and parade participants must enter the Staging Area through the SouthPoint Church entrance at 9067 Hwy 51 N. You will be instructed by the Parade Director on where to go.
High school bands and DeSoto County school groups must enter the staging and drop-off area via 1st Commercial Drive off Highway 51. You will be instructed by the volunteers on where to go.
The parade will step off at 6:30 PM from SouthPoint Church, left onto Stateline Road, continue onto Main Street, then east on Main Street to Northwest Drive, and end at City Hall. Participants may exit the parade by turning right on Brandywine at the south end of Northwest Drive.
After the parade, once all scoring has been tallied, winners will be notified by the Southaven Chamber of Commerce.
For additional information, please contact Southaven Chamber of Commerce at 662.342.6114 or email@example.com.