The Regional Sales Manager provides for the short and long term growth of WP revenues through superior business development, communication, relationship building, client retention team leadership and selling efforts. The Regional Sales Manager support the growth and development of the sales team in an assigned Region and manages all sales related activities including proper sales administration, sales segmentation and effectiveness. Through developed partnerships and a high degree of interaction with commercial clients, franchisers, business leaders, governmental officials and key strategic partners, new contracts are acquired and/or existing contracts extended for the collection, processing, transportation and disposal of solid waste and recyclables.The Regional Sales Manager uses conceptual/strategic selling skills to understand economic and buying influences and works with his/her team to meet client expectations and close deals. Sales opportunities are targeted, qualified and responded to, negotiated and successfully closed. This position supports the prospecting efforts for all potential clients in a defined area, including municipal opportunities. Additionally, sales efforts are closely aligned with WP marketing resources to create differentiating proposals, bids and RFPs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Holds accountability for providing managerial direction and support to an area sales team. Monitors sales performance of team and defines skills/services needed to enhance sales productivity (Leads, Trains, Monitors and Motivates).
2. Provides sales coaching and training in the field and in weekly sales meetings
3. Develops maximum potential sales volume and profitability within defined regional territory.
4. Participates in short and long-term strategic Market and Sales Planning.
5. Accountability for increasing WP market share and ensuring sales plans for territory are aligned and accomplished in accordance with company mission and established goals.
6. Monitors/Manages the sales incentive plan(s) and ensures that area sales team is accounted for and rewarded properly.
7. Leverages through strategy assessments, planning, and cross functional interaction a high degree of internal and external client satisfaction.
8. Drives acquisition and retention of contracts by maintaining critical relationships with customers, appointed staff and others influencing decision makers.
9. Maintains active relationships and is visible and active within the community.
10. Seeks every opportunity to increase market share, revenue and profitability by securing new contracts and additional services by gaining support of decision-makers and attending to all critical buying influences.
11. Accountable in partnership with corporate sales, marketing, and regional management for developing bid and RFP submittal packages and insuring that proposals meet all specification requirements, required pro-forma and superior level of professional quality in appearance and content.
12. Interfaces with WP executives, managers, associates and customers in targeting opportunities and aggressively pursuing leads.
13. Actively or indirectly in partnership with key stakeholders (e.g. RVP, Regional Financial Controller, Municipal Sales/Marketing leaders, SVP Marketing) participates in closing significant contracts through aggressive negotiation, competitive pricing and proactive adherence to defined sales strategy.
14. In partnership with finance and regional management periodically initiates billing and contract audits to ensure best pricing defined and invoiced.
15. Stays directly involved in complaint resolution and resolves as needed.
16. Actively participates in community events and activities where applicable to promote WP's distinguishable difference (e.g. Local League of Cities, Keep America Beautiful affiliates, community cleanup events, civic associations, local charitable organizations, etc.).
17. Keeps management apprised of individual and sales team activities which may impact WP, Region, and/or Division.
18. Uses available technology to monitor, track and report sales activity. Accurately forecasts monthly, quarterly, and annual revenue streams.
19. Partners with Corporate Sales, Marketing and Regional Specialists surrounding possibilities for press coverage, need for collateral literature, advertising and sponsorship recommendations.
20. Researches and stays current regarding competitor services.
21. Maintains awareness of competition and trends affecting the industry.
22. Uses a standard format or sales automation tool for maintaining status of sales activities.
* Education: BA/BS degree in business, marketing, or equivalent experience. Related work experience can be substituted for educational requirements
* 3-5 years of sales/marketing/business development experience within the Waste Services Industry with heavy emphasis on the Municipal Sales Sector.
* 8+ years of sales experience, preferably selling within the Waste/Environmental/Recycling Services industry.
* Minimum 2 years managerial experience within Waste Industry.
* Demonstrated use of consultative and solutions based selling skills.
* Outstanding skills in negotiation, contract management, forecasting and strategic planning.
* Broad base of expertise across the sales process i.e. sales generation, customer interaction, presentation, client interaction, negotiation, account management, forecasting, pricing, and sales closure.
* Successful track record of developing win-win partnerships in competitive settings.
* Superior written and oral communication skills combined with above average organization, interpersonal, listening, presentation and problem solving skills.
* Professional demeanor and adaptability required to change as dictated by situation(s).
* Must demonstrate a basic understanding of applied use of sales automation technology used in support of the sales process.
* Proficiency in using array of software packages, including MS Outlook, Word, PPT and Excel.
* Experienced in developing strategies to increase sales volumes, manage costs and source potential opportunities through different channels.
* Knowledge of the Waste Industry, competitors, and relevant external forces that influence the client's buying decision.
* Well versed in problem solving, market research, financial/profitability analysis, pricing, and client relationship management.
* Organized and intellectually able to eliminate sales obstacles through creative and adaptive approaches.
* Must be prepared for extensive travel within a defined regional territory.
* High degree of autonomy, yet team oriented with ability to work cross functionally within dynamic environment.